I ended up buying a Sony WHC720NB, over ear headphones. It was a balance between cost and clarity/battery life.
Blurb from their site
- Sony’s lightest Wireless Noise-canceling headband ever.
- Take noise canceling to the next level with Sony’s Integrated Processor V1, so you can fully immerse yourself in the music.
- Super comfortable and lightweight design.
- Adjustable Ambient Sound mode and Adaptive Sound control features tailors sound to suit the environment around you.
- Up to 35-hour battery life with quick charging (3 min charge for up to 1 hour of playback).
- High sound quality and well-balanced sound tuning.
- Crystal clear hands-free calling and voice assistant with Precise Voice Pickup technology.
- Multipoint connection allows you to quickly switch between two devices at once.
- Boost the quality of compressed music files and enjoy streaming music with high quality sound through DSEE™.
- Build-in microphone
After using them, I made a good choice. The sound is a little hissy only if I turn on the Noise Cancelling. I don't need NC anyway, I prefer to hear things around me as well. They are miles better than what I had before.
They also pair seamlessly with my Samsung TV. Once paired, if I turn on the headphones close to the TV, the TV pops up a question and asks if I want to use the headphones. I click on Yes and it streams to teh headphones. When I switch off teh headphones, the TV goes back to using its speker.