I'm looking for a weather station that works without a display but allows querying the data via an API instead.
It needs to
- have a rain sensor
- measure wind speed
- have a hygrometer
- measure temperature
- power itself via solar energy
- have an accumulator to measure at night from solar energy collected during daytime
- operating temperature from -25 °C to +40 °C
- have connectors for additional sensors for future use, e.g. UV sensor, solar sensor, snow sensor and snow height sensor
- provide wireless connectivity in a range of ~20 meters. We want to mount it on our roof
- access to the data must be secure, especially the Wifi connection must not open a hole into our corporate network
- built-in data logging for at least 14 days incase the data cannot be fetched
Ideally, the software is open source. Commercial software is acceptable, but must be included in the price then.
Also ideally, the firmware is open source (Arduino based?) so that our students could modify it.
My budget is 750 € net.
- weather forecast
Features not needed:
- scientific data measurement
- cloud based stuff. We must own our data.
I have tried:
- most weather stations are just too cheap (< $200) and for home use / indoor use only.
- I'm asking froggit for their WH 4000 (German) whether data can be accessed via API and whether operating conditions are within -25 °C to +40 °C. The housing looks a bit cheap and uses lots of plastic material. Also, it seems I pay for the display, which I neither need nor want. All in all I wonder why I have a budget of 750 € if I only need 119 €. (But that may just be due to lack of knowledge by managers)
Davis Vantage Pro 2 is the closest I could find until now. With $595 + $175, the price is even suitable. It is advertised as "withstand scorching sun, corrosion, 200 mph (321 kmh) winds, temperature extremes, and more", which sounds great.
There are resellers that seem to sell the same hardware under their own label.
Maybe I'm just looking for alternatives to the Davis Vantage Pro 2 in order to be able to compare and decide for one.