I'm interested in desktop setup that will last. I've narrowed (thanks to this answer) my motherboard choices to MSI z170 gaming pro and MSI X99 SLI plus. As both cards are quite similar (multiple SATA III, USB 3.0, more than 32GB of RAM), the choice boils down to the chipset: LGA2011-v3 (in MSI X99 SLI plus) or LGA1151 (in MSI z170 gaming pro).
Arguments for LGA2011-v3:
- Finally, the 8 cores treshold overcomed, and processors can have ex. 32 threads.
- 40 PCIe lanes
Arguments for LGA1151:
- released in 2015 (vs 2011-v3 being released in 2014)
- 14 nm litography
- twice the link speed
In my understanding, in the 1151 there is still the limit to the number of cores a single processor can have, which is not present in LGA2011. I'm confused which one will be more supported (ex. better processors will be developped) in the future and what to choose.
[EDIT] more specific questions:
- Which one would choose & why?
- How important is link speed & what is this measure?
- Will the LGA1151 overcome the 8 core treshold in next generations like 2011?