I am currently deciding between two laptops:
- ThinkPad T460 with 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, & i5-6300U
- ThinkPad X1 Carbon with 256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM & i7-5600U
The X1 is a fairly new model, much more so than the T460, but it has lower RAM and storage than the T460, an older model with better RAM and storage. The X1 is superior in terms of CPU, however.
I want to pick the laptop that will have a longer lifespan and will give me solid performance overall for the tasks that I will which include:
- Software Development in Python, C++, Java (VS Code and Github Desktop)
- Browsing with 15-20 tabs open (max)
- Working with Wolfram Mathematica
- Basic work with CAD software
- A lot of ML
Video/Photo editing will have a frequency of rare to none.
Which laptop is better for my purposes?