I got a 22" monitor in my bed (it is hanged on the wall), it is connected to the computer using a HDMI cable, which can carry sound signal too. My problem is that my monitor doesn't have an audio out connector, so I can't plug my headphones in it.

And then, I need a device that can take the HDMI signal and split it in two: - send the HDMI signal to the monitor - provide an audio out 3.5 mm socket so I can connect my headphones in it

and then, the device should contain the following connectors: - HDMI in, to recieve the signal from the computer - HDMI out to connect to the monitor - or simply a short HDMI plug - stereo 3.5 mm audio socket so I can connect my headphones in it

The device should be small enough so I can stick it to the back of the monitor.

Is there any device like this?

If not, then I probably need a computer monitor with audio out - this should be a common feature already, since the monitors with HDMI can already receive audio signals, so they should also offer that signal using an audio out connector.

1 Answer 1


You'd probably need a

  • HDMI to HDMI + Audio like this.
  • This one should be coupled with a RCA Male to 3.5mm adapter example.

with this setup you also need two HDMI cables.

  • 1
    So it's called HDMI Audio Extractor, that's what I needed to know. I prefer one that uses a single cable. To connect to the monitor, it should feature a HDMI plug, just like any HDMI cable - and then I can simply hang it by plugging it in to the monitor. I notice that such devices exist - for example this one - thanx a lot!
    – BearCode
    Commented Sep 30, 2018 at 21:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.