I need to buy a new laptop for my programming job. The problem is that I just don’t like laptops! I have to get this because I need to travel and meet with colleagues and have to do some work on site. This implies that there is a good chance that this is not going to be my main computer in the future.
On the other hand, I don't want to waste money (even the smallest amount) on a laptop that will be garbage in a year or so. If I have it I will use it, for as long as it lasts.
My main jobs are performed in Eclipse, Netbeans and Android Studio. From what I have read around, these do not support multi-threading. So Intel would work better than AMD since (again from what I understood on the web) AMD has more cores, but single core speed of AMD is lower than that of Intel's. If I am using programs that can only use one core at a time then Intel should work better, right?
The main problem is that I am in Greece, and I have to buy it from a store here, since it will have to go to my expenses. So I am guessing that not all models might be available here.
- CPU: a decent one that will last for some years (thinking i5 5200U)
- RAM: I am guessing 4GB for budget reasons, but would be nice to have extra slots for future upgrades if needed
- Monitor: Would love a 17inch for ease of work, but (at least in the Greek market) 17' come with a lot of power that skyrocket the price. plus most I have seen come with HD, not FullHD, resulting a more or less the same effect (do you agree with that?)
- Storage: not important since I will use my desktop for any file storage/backup
- Cost: It will be hard to help me on this one since prices are much different in every country, but I am guessing something in the 500-600 Euro range (US$560-640)
- Must be available in Greece
Bonus question: Is an i3 with SSD as good as an i5 with HDD? some guy (that I trust) told me that, but I am not so sure I believe it.
What about this: HP 15-ac011nv - 15.6" (i7-5500U/4GB/500GB/HD 5500)
- CPU Intel Core i7-5500U 2.40 GHz
- cache 4 MB
- RAM 4 GB - DDR3 SDRAM - 1600 MHz
- HDD 500 GB
- monitor 15.6" BrightView WLED - 1366x768
- Graphics Intel HD Graphics 5500 - Shared Memory
- 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.0
The ram might need some boosting. Will call them soon to ask the max ram that i can install, and how much an extra 4 costs.
The price for some reason (ok i know 2, will see it in a sec) the price is really low for an I7 550 Euro The only drawback it seems that it is the low resolution screen and the GPU. I am not going to play any games on this anyway, nor i will watch any 4K movies. how about this then?
update I did got the HP after all. It seems like a good one, i was disappointed that it's not easy to get the hdd out easily, since i have an extra ssd that i want to install instead.