i'm not using all my computer hardware regularly anymore and want to make a change. Currently i have:
- 1 stationary computer capable of running recent games
- 1 mini tv computer which stutters badly and i want to get rid of
- 1 remote virtual server running linux
- a router with a built-in NAS capability onto which i can plug-in hard drives
My idea was to use the stationary computer for gaming and the mini computer for Netflix and stuff at the TV.
However my personal situation has changed to a level where i rarely use my stationary computer anymore. After work i mostly use the mini computer. This has resulted in me having two "divergent" workspaces.
Additionally, most weekends i'm away and don't use either computer, although i wish i had a mobile computer with me. Other weekends i have time for gaming, although it's a few hours tops.
So these are my new requirements:
- Be mobile enough to take with me on weekends
- Capable of playing games at Full HD res. (Skyrim Special Edition as a benchmark)
- Capable of programming/compilation (Python and Go mostly) and running office software
- Have some sort of cable docking solution so i can easily move it from TV to home office and also take it with me on weekends without having to remove 5 different cables each time
My idea was to trade both computers for either a laptop or a very powerful tablet (if that exists). My storage hard drive would go onto my router NAS and thereby be accessible from home or away. I also thought of using my virtual server as an additional workspace, but i'm not sure if i would be using it regularly (since it requires good internet). I want to parallel install Ubuntu and Windows.
What would you buy if you were me? My budget is around $1500 (Euros, actually).
I looked at the Razer Blade, which seems to fulfil my requirements but is above what i want to spend and maybe even overpowered for the few times i'm actually gaming.
Another option is just to replace the mini computer with a budget tablet or laptop, but then i'd still have two workspaces.