I run multiple machines to perform various tasks related to both work and personal hobbies. These machines run a combination of Linux and Windows and a variety of services ranging from Microsoft SQL server, Maria/MySql, build bots, web servers, DNS services, firewalls, and NAS etc. I'd like to combine many (or all) of these machines into a virtual environment. The idea is to get one beefy machine where I can virtualize most of my hardware.
What kind of server do you recommend that can perform the following:
- Host 12 virtual machines constantly and burst to 24 for hours at a time
- Host a combination of Windows (Vista through 10) and Linux (multiple distributions) all running at the same time
- Have multiple network interfaces so that all the virtual machines don't share a single line. I'm thinking 4 would be appropriate, but I think I could live with only 2
- Have storage space for 12 full virtual machines, plus templates for 8-10 other systems.
- Contains server grade - not consumer grade - hardware
- Estimated budget is under $8,000.