What are currently the best low-cost (< 1000 USD) depth sensors in terms of:
- range (at least 3 meters, the more the better)
- power consumption (preferably USB powered)
- spatial resolution/accuracy
- depth resolution/accuracy
- robustness (lighting conditions, amount of unknown pixels)
After Primesense was sold to Apple, there hasn't been a single obvious choice for a robot depth sensor.
Furthermore, I could not find if libfreenect2 can be used in commercial products. Being Windows-only would be a huge turn-off.
SoftKinetic DS-311 is perhaps the closest to what Primesense used to be, but maybe not as accurate.
Here are some other low-cost cameras that I found, but they have a short range:
- pmd[vision] camboard nano
- SoftKinetic DS-325
and others with a long range but high cost:
- Panasonic D-Imager
- pmd[vision] CamCube 3.0
- SwissRanger SR4500
- Odos Imaging Real.iZ-1K