I am looking for a laptop that would be very high-end graphic wise, and that can be used for rendering and 3D modeling. There are a LOT of high-end laptop reviews out there, but most are gaming-oriented, and although there are a lot of common requirements between gaming and 3D modeling/rendering, it is not exactly the same.
- 3ds Max (Vray + real time)
- Rhino 3D
- Adobe suit (mainly Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects)
- Solid heavy-duty build (especially hinges) – no plastics, I travel a lot
- CD bay (not really a must but a huge plus)
- 2+ HD bays (see CD bay above)
- No bigger than 15" (actually my yardstick is a keyboard with no numpad...)
- HDMI and normal 16-pin RGB (VGA) outputs
- High res (1920x1080 and above)
My last laptop was a semi-custom-made HP 8530P (11,500 euros!), which unbelievably is still working with current versions of all above listed software (and it is 7 years old.. At that time it was the only model with 1920x1080 screen. And again, we are talking 7 years!). I had upgraded it a lot over the years (2 SSD, RAM), but still – it is impressive.
Last fact: since it is for professional work, budget is not an issue. My last laptop mentioned above paid for itself in 3 weeks!