I am a hobbyist programmer and light gamer, and I'm in the market for a new computer. I don't know anything about hardware. I've looked at the Alienware website (as they are the only high-end computers I've heard of), but I've heard you're mostly paying for frills, and I don't need anything flashy.
In addition to web-browsing, I'll be using it for:
- Programming (Mostly Python)
- Adobe Premiere and Photoshop
- Some light gaming (I'm an occasional gamer... nothing too intense)
- Unity Game Development
It must have:
- A Big Screen (my current screen is 17.3 inches, which is perfect)
- A Numpad
- VGA and HDMI outputs
- SD Card reader
It would be nice to have:
- Something under $1000. I can go higher if I have to.
- Many, many USB ports
- Decent battery life
- Something that can take a beating
It doesn't have to look flashy, and I don't care about name brands. I'd like it to last for several years.