I have an old Dell Studio XPS 8100 that has been updated rather haphazardly. Now I would like more expansion slots and a faster CPU.
I don't know what motherboard + CPU combination would be a good fit for my existing components. Since I will be buying both together, I would like to get something future-proof and a good performance match. I also have existing parts that I would like to keep, so compatability is important.
- Software development (fast compile times are a priority)
- 3D modelling software
- 4K monitor
- Hackintosh for app development
- Light gaming
The parts I would like to keep are:
- Case Corsair 750D
- GPU ASUS Nvidia 970GTX
- PSU Corsair RM450
- Primary Storage Samsung Evo 850 SSD
- Secondary Storage Toshiba DT01ACA SATA HDD
- RAM 3x2GB generic Dell ram (will be upgraded later)
Parts I would like to accomodate:
- Dedicated sound card
- USB3 ports on my case (currently not connected)
- Extra USB3 slots PCIe card
- Faster CPU
Note that my case is large enough for an extended ATX motherboard, but I don't know if this is worth the cost vs ATX.