I have a little home-server that is now around 8 years old (I calculated the age wrong at first ...). It always did a great job and never let me down. But now it is time to eather upgrade the hardware, or buy a complete new one because over the time my claims and usage ot the server changed. At the beginning it was a little data and webserver for developing purposes. Now I want to use it for developing, compiling and as a game server. So more power would be great^^
The problem is that my strength lies neither in the English language, nor in hardware understanding. So I really hope you guys can help me with the decicion:
A complete new server, or upgrading this one?
I guess a new one is the better option because of the hardware age. But then I have no idea, what hardware to buy for a good and solid server. It does not need a DC/DVD-Drive and one SSHD or HDD is enouph (I have an NAS in the network, so for data storage there is enouph space).
Currently it has this components:
Motherboard Name: Asus AT5NM10-I ATOM D510 be quiet Pure Power Motherboard Chipset: ? CPU: Mobile Intel Celeron M-A, 1682 MHz (2.5 x 673) RAM: 2GB (2x1GB no idea what DDR type ... maybe 2?) Graphics card: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 (128 MB) Power supply: ? case: ?
I am really sorry, that the report is so bad. But I used two hardware report programs that could not detect all of the hardware components. It seems, that most of them are really old ...
Can someone maybe help me by finding new parts for a new server? what are good components?
- dual 2.5GHz or better a quad with at least 2GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB SSHD, a small case, a quiet power supply, no CD-/DVD-Drive, USB 3.0, one LAN (i think two would be overkill).
- The server should last five to ten years
- I am willing to pay the price such a server will cost^^ (maybe arount 1k max, is this realistic?)
- no downtimes would be great, but unnecessary. The old one had once a hard disc crash, so it was offline, and otherwise when I reebooted it. So there is no need to have a 100% save server. 24/7 with 99% uptime would be nice :)
- A raid to avoid data loss is necessary in the future (raid 1 would be enough)
- for the case: Currently the old server has a tower similar to this with the dimentions 19x21x29[cm] and is standing in an open cabinet. I am open to a new shape or form for the new server. But in the end he takes the place of the old one. So I guess a rack-mounted one would be pointless.
greetings and thank you in advance,
PS.: Sorry for my bad english.