I'm looking for an external SATA enclosure to host a minimum of 4 standard 3.5" form-factor SATA hard disks.
I currently have a 4-disk enclosure from Vantec that uses a SATA port multiplier but has a drawback that one port always reads as SMART disabled regadless of the disk and overall suffers from poor cooling.
- Minimum of 4 disk enclosure for 3.5" form-factor SATA disks
- Good cooling, ideally low vibration and not too loud
- eSATA data interface
- Not a rackmount solution. This will sit on a desk or on the floor.
- Ideally can accommodate 6 GB/s SATA III disks at full bandwidth.
- Externally powered with a switch to turn it off
- Fairly easy install/removal of disks in the enclosure.
My use case is intermittent backup where the disks and enclosure are only on and spinning during the backups.