I have a dock station with USB C. I want to connect it, only for the video, to my old pc that has a HDMI. So, my pc is HDMI and it is the input for the USB C that is the output (and that is then connected to a monitor). Can I do it? Does this kind of hardware exists?

My pc also has a VGA port. enter image description here

  • Information about the Dock is missing, inviting speculation. So, voting to close. Aug 18 at 4:03

2 Answers 2


You cannot go from HDMI to USB. You can however, go from USB-A to USB-C with an adapter. This would allow you to use your dock.

Your laptop has a USB3 slot in the picture, so you will still get good use out of your dock. The reduced speed might mean that you can only run 1 or 2 displays off the dock instead of the 2 or 3 displays you could run with a newer laptop.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but your monitor does not have HDMI and only USB-C?

If that's the case, there are no direct adapters as far as I know, only in the other direction. You can however, get HDMI to DisplayPort, which is the protocol the USB-C uses on your monitor. If you also have a DisplayPort, this is what you need, when you do not, try searching for a two way DP to USB-C cable/adapter (those should exist, but I don't know where)

Edit, Do not use the dock, it will not work

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.