I am looking for a laptop to replace my W530 thinkpad (from 2012). Here is what I like in the W530:
- matte IPS screen
- good (backlighted) keyboard with key travel of 2.5mm
- keyboard with no numpad (I don't like laptop keyboard with numpads because this makes the keyboard offcentric which feels not ergonomical for me)
- good pointing stick with three mechanical mouse keys (I use only the pointing stick and no touchpad)
- no sharp edge at the front of the palm rest
- LAN port without adapter
- works well with linux
The screen size should be 15 or 16 inch.
Since I feel that the ergonomical requirements above are very restrictive I don't want to impose any internal hardware requirements except that it should be a notable performance upgrade to the W530 and should an M2 SSD option.
Since I like to buy refurbished devices, you could mention models introduced from 2016 and later.
What I don't need is:
- a DVD/CD drive
- a CAD aimed graphics adapter (like in my case a quadro)
The thickness and weight of the W530 is ok for me, no need for an ultra slim design, but I wouldn't complain if the new model would be a bit lighter.
Regarding the screen: The screen of the W530 is not bright enough for outdoor use, so max. brightness of the new model could be a bit better. But it is also important do dim it to a very low brightness to work in a dark room. If possible the dimming shouln't use PWM.