Here are some pretty general questions from a new developer / moderate gamer about CPU core counts and how they affect the developer experience in terms of convenience and QoL. Feel free to answer any/all :)
Please refrain from giving financial / PC gaming advice - these questions are targeted toward the software development profession in general, thanks!
- As a software developer, how appealing is a 12-core CPU to you? Is it much more appealing over a 6 or 8 core CPU in the same family?
- For those who have upgraded to a higher core-count CPU within a single architecture (e.g., 3600 to 3900), has your QoL as a developer improved noticeably? Yes/No
- What are some common scenarios for a dev where 12 cores is awesome compared to 6 cores?
- In general, do you think developers benefit more from single thread performance over increased core counts (e.g., 12-core Zen 2 vs. 8-core Zen 3)?
- What type of developer benefits the most from high core-count CPUs?