Broadly speaking I am looking for a very mobile fully featured laptop (kind of a desktop replacement). The same kind of laptop as in my question from 2016.
I currently have a customised Lenovo T460s (14 inch 2k screen, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GeForce 930M, WWAN, SD card reader, finger print reader) purchased in 2016. I have been overall very happy with the purchase in terms of specs, weight, and features.
I am struggling to find a good replacement.
Usage pattern: The laptop goes where I go and is used for database and back-end development during the day and occasional gaming session in the evening.
Must have features:
- Display: 2K, that is useable in sunlight
- CPU: I5 / I7 or equivalent AMD
- RAM: 16GB - 32GB
- Storage: 512GB SSD
- Weight: under 1.6kg
- Dedicated GPU: something that would manage most games on medium settings
- Ports: 2 x USB, mic/headphone, HDMI/Display Port, (the more the better)
- Build / Finish: looking for a high quality "professional" / "business" look
- Built in mobile internet
- Replaceable battery (i.e. not permanently glued in)
Optional (in order of priority):
- 2 in 1 mode (similar to Lenovo Yoga) where it can be converted into a tablet.
- Availability of a Docking station
- Light weight Power Brick
- Long battery life
- Built-in card reader
Price: unlimited (ball park figure: up to around 4,500AUD ~ 3,500US)
I have checked:
- Surface Book 3 (13.5") - looks exceptional (also is a "2 in 1") but no 4G and no direct monitor connectivity.
- Lenovos - their business ultra portable range does not seem to have a GPU option anymore.
Can someone recommend a laptop that fits most of the specs? It seems that the race for the thinnest design has pushed all functional aspects to the side.