Anyone ought to be familiar with a 120v power meter, or watt meter, such as the kill-a-watt brand of watt meter like this

enter image description here

They are easily found online... amazon... less than $20.

Is there one that will do 208 volt single phase and be able to be used in a server room where rack servers run on 208 volt power using those female type 208v power cords and the PDU's that are in a server rack?

I would like to use some kind of watt meter that will measure wattage/amperage on 208v for just one server running, to understand the power draw of a given server when it is on but idle vs when software is crunching on it.

And i don't need a convenient all in one meter like in the pic. I am ok with building a box and doing any wiring to make a safe and temporary connection to make a amp/watt measurement. So any kind of amperage or watt [panel] meter I am ok with if it is not overly expensive and reasonably accurate in the 20 watt to 5000 watt range at 208 volt.

Here is what a PDU (power distribution unit) within a server rack looks like.

enter image description here

The power cable from this PDU to the wall, has an L6-30P plug where the receptacle on the wall is an L6-30R.

Where I want to measure is after the PDU, coming from one of its eleven C14 receptacles. I have plenty of C14 power cords I can cut a few up.

https://www.webberelectronics.com/info/iec-chart The actual socket might be C18/C19/C20, I don't know and it kinda doesn't matter because I have plenty of those power cords that I can use to wire up an amperage/watt meter. I am basically just looking for any kind of panel meter that will measure amperage/wattage at 208 volt.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.