Without getting into the debate about whether AMD or Intel is better, I need to build a new developer machine. I use a broad range of tools on primarily Windows.
Things that probably matter:
- I run a couple of VMs at any given time.
- I do Android development. That includes using their device emulators.
- I do some AI development, but I have a high end GPU to do the lifting.
- I do heavy Visual Studio work which includes compiling large projects where source code lines can get into the 100k lines.
- I will occasionally play a resource intense game, but it's infrequent.
- I will occasionally transcode video files.
- I have 3 4k monitors.
I need to choose a CPU, but I get lost in model numbers. I recall there being issues with Android emulators and VirtualBox and AMD cpus. Is that still a thing? AMD or Intel? Which model? Cost isn't a serious issue, but I'd probably balk at a CPU over 1k. I also don't want to spend 1k on a CPU that's more than I really need.