I think I've converged on a laptop that meets the following criteria, adapted from Seek 14" laptop, touchpad, buttons, Synaptics Touchpad, & trial-able before decision
- Brand: Not Lenova nor Dell Latitude (possibly others - prefer not to discuss brand criteria)
- OS: Windows 10 64-bit, home or pro
- Processor type: i5, 8th generation (4 cores or more)
- Screen size: 14"
- Memory: 8GB and up
- 256GB SSD or 512GB HDD
- Fixed (unmoving) touchpad with 2 separate buttons beneath it + Synaptics drivers
- Not 1-piece clickpad with depressable corners
- Preferably no pointing stick, but might be tolerable
- Future-proof for 8 years for modest usage (browsing, Microsoft Office, Cywin, Netflix)
- Acer TravelMate P2 P2410-G2-M variants NX.VGTAA.005, NX.VGTAA.006
- NX.VGTAA.006 TMP2410-G2-M-55HN 14" Notebook - 1366 x 768 - Core i5 i5-8250U - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel UHD Graphics 620 - ComfyView - English Keyboard - Bluetooth
- NX.VGTAA.005 has additional French Keyboard Localization
- Info pages:
- Old model review https://www.channelpronetwork.com/review/review-acer-travelmate-p2-goldilocks-performance
- Touchpad + buttons, Synaptics at https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/767?b=1
- Top view at https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/professional-model/NX.VGTAA.005
- Top view at https://www.cdw.ca/product/acer-travelmate-p2410-g2-m-55hn-14in-core-i5-8250u-8-gb-ram-500-gb-h/5280305
- Acer TravelMate P648-MG TMP648-MG-746N Notebook 14" FHD IPS ComfyView, Intel Core i7-6500U Dual-core (2.50 GHz), 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce 940M 2GB, Win7 Pro Upgradable to Win10 Pro (64-bit)
- Manufactcurer number NX.VCWAA.003
- Info: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=664_1524&item_id=119426
- Touchpad + buttons, no nub, Synaptics: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6693?b=1
- Doesn't have 4+ core i5, does i7 make up for computational horse power?
(1) In view of my criteria, can anyone provide considerations to ponder in choosing between these two?
(2) Acer is Taiwanese, but in which country are Acer TravelMates made?
(3) For those who have owned/used one/both of these models, how do you find the touchpad regristration of contact and tracking of finger movement? No false contact from nearness of hand, and pointer tracking feels natural rather than erratic?
(4) An IT support colleague said that laptops upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 will be missing drivers. If a laptop's specification say Windows 10, does that mean it Windows 10 was installed from scratch?