I'm looking for a new alarm clock. My wife is hyper-sensitive to lights in the bedroom, but we both like to know what time it is without having to reach over to the nightstand (this seems to make it harder to get back to sleep) and I often get up long before her. I've spent hours searching, but there are just so many out there and the terminology to describe what I need is so generic as to make it impossible to find. To make matters worse, most alarm clocks seem to be getting brighter and louder than they were 30 years ago, and many seem to tout the very features I don't want (loud alarm, night light, etc.). I need an alarm clock that meets the following requirements:
- Plug in with battery backup--I can't afford to have the batteries die or the power go out in the middle of the night and not get woken up.
- Very low light: Constantly lit so we can read it from about 4 feet away, but giving off less light than a single micro LED (even that often casts a shadow in a dark room), while still visible during the day without manual adjustment--probably a tritium or phosphorescent display.
- Highly adjustable alarm loudness. I currently use a clock-radio with the volume on VERY low--it can barely be heard from across the room, not at all with the furnace blower going.
- Less than $20
It would be really cool and I'd be willing to pay extra if it had any of the following features:
- Bluetooth connectivity/speaker for daytime use
- Automatic daylight savings adjustment
- iPhone (lightning) charging/dock
- Multiple alarm settings for weekday/weekend
FYI: my current system is a clock-radio with paper put over the LED display to dim it sufficiently, but it's now so dim that it can't be seen during the day at all, and the radio isn't great--the reception is affected by the proximity of my hand to the radio.