My development laptop died, fortunately I was able to get all of my existing code to my desktop from backup. I need to replace the laptop and was looking for recommendations from the Stack Overflow/Stack Exchange family for which configuration/manufacturer would be best in your opinion. My development environment is Visual Studio 2017 (looking at 2019), Xamarin for both android and iOS development. I prefer a 17" minimum display. There are thousands of choices out there, hard to know what would be best.
Except for budget (not mentioned), I would focus on
- SSD (the bigger/faster the better, IDEs are normally very big)
- Lots of RAM (preventing SSD/harddisk swapping, be able to open lots of applications/tools)
- I think all new laptops support virtualization (for testing environments)
- Fast CPU (for compiling etc).
- Screen (as you see minimum 17")
- Keyboard with numpad if you use that a lot
- Docking station support (for multiple screens possibly)
Focus less on
- Graphics card